Tuesday, December 24, 2002

I Wanted To Write Something Nice On This Christmas Eve, But I'm All Dry, So Here Is An Email That I Sent To Everyone I Know

An open letter to everyone who might call themselves a friend:

It’s beginning to look a lot like, uh... hum... well... If you’re in the great state of Florida, it is beginning to look a lot like every other day of the week. Minus the occasional breezy nip in the air, it’s pretty much the same. But, that’s what I love about Christmas in Florida. It’s not too cold, there’s no shoveling snow, no blizzards, and especially no snow! It is great, unless you are used to having a traditional white Christmas and junk. In case you haven’t guessed it, it’s time once again for the annual Christmas Bulk Email. Ahh... I’m sure you guys and gals can’t hardly contain yourselves. Well, maybe you can, but in all efforts of goodwill and cheer, try to play along like you can, ok?

Let’s see, another year has come and gone. So many of these “adulthood years” are going so fast. Somehow, even under my own disillusions, I think that’s how life works, but I’m really not sure. If I could have a real adult verify that for me, that would be good. Another year of our life’s has just passed. It’s kind of scary because we are all growing up and going on to new horizons. Today, after reading several peoples views on Christmas, I began to ponder my own rationale for what I have and what this Christmas season will bring to me. Besides books, DVDs, and CDs. What will I have to show for my life? What do I have to show for this existence that I am partaking in? Well, my folks were happy with my 3 A’s, 3 B’s, and 1 C. But, besides all these earthly possessions, things, and accomplishments, what am I truly happy for? Definitely all of the cliche’ answers are valid here: family, friends, love, good tidings, peace on earth, joy, abundance of life, and health. Yet, all of these very Christmassy answers lack substance. Not that those answers are bad; they do have much validity. However, wondering about the statement above, what is the purpose and meaning behind all of this celebration? I can only share with you what I know. Faith in and a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ. There are so many religions, faiths, denominations, and people in general to claim to be Christians. Now there are many of my friends who belong to totally different religions like: Hindu, Muslim, Jewish, and Wicca. All of which set there sights out for their own day of celebration and rejoicing. Well, I write these words today, not to persuade or make claims, but to humbly say that I only know one thing for sure and that is that I know nothing. The older I get, the dumber I get. The more I learn, the more I realize that I have so much more to learn, understand, and reason. Yet, “for one thing I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, not powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord” (Romans 8:38-39, New American Standard). I pray that you will all see the difference in this season; the reason we celebrate Christmas. For when we were sinners, without worth, God sent Jesus to be born, live, then die for us. Not because of our merit, but because God loved us so much. Wow, I take a lot of things for granted and that is one thing. Never the less, this is the reason we rejoice and celebrate.

Aren’t you glad for life? I know I am. However, after I graduate (May 2003!!!) and get my Masters, I really don’t know how much life I will have left. It’s all too much work sometimes. But, it’s ok and I will endure. I pray that all of you will have a very happy Christmas. You know, some of you guys have gotten this email 4 years in a row. Some of you guys, this will be the first time. I hope I am able to send out this thing for the rest of my life. I appreciate you guys so much. Thank you for being my friends. Thank you for being there when I needed someone to talk to, to laugh with, and being a shoulder to cry on. You mean the world to me. I know I could get through life with just me and God. But, I’m so glad I don’t have to. I pray for you all. Be safe, enjoy yourselves, and think about the reason your alive and reading this. It’s not a coincidental chance, it’s because God has a purpose. Be blessed and I love you all...

Happy Holidays

No comments: