theram4jc made this template

to whom it may concern

 

About Me

Jeff Watkins
Age: Still alive
Email
Occupation: Too many things
AIM:JeffyJeffW
For sale on Amazon.com
For sale on eBay
Amazon.com Wishlist
My space
My library
My reviews and lists

Previous Posts

A New Song For Old Feelings I’m throwing away l...
I Drove 115 MPH The Other Day Thank goodness fo...
Brothers... Through the Dane, I found a link to t...
All The Things Greeting Cards Never Say “Hey yo...
You Never Know I ofter wonder how my life h...
It's Not Brown Sugar In an article called Sexual ...
Yes by Stavesacre, from the album (Self-Titled...
I am Bored at Work I am sitting here ponde...
Theology Talk While I'm writing my credo for Th...
Exodus Comes Before Deuteronomy How I’m feeling...


© To Whom It May Concern 2002-2010, except for cited or source material.

 

Monday, December 16, 2002

About The Holiday Season

From, The Book of Saints by Lesley Whiteside, we get a little insight on the reasoning behind this Santa character:

"All we know for certain about Nicholas is that he was a fourth-century bishop of Myra in Turkey, yet he became one of the most popular of the medieval saints. Much better known is the figure derived from him, 'Santa Claus!' A vast body of legend surrounded Nicholas, in the best known of which he restored to life three children who had been pickled in brine. For this reason he became the patron saint of children, but he also had a particular association with sailors and merchants. His cult was so strong that countless churches were dedicated to him and he became the patron of many countries, including Russia..."

posted by Jeff Watkins at 11:39 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home