Sunday, October 20, 2002

Mr. Saturday Night (Out and About)

Why is Saturday night the loneliest night of the week? I've never figured out why that quote is so true. Not for me, because I enjoyed a splendid time with my best friend, talented writer, and founder of our beloved site, yes ladies and gentlemen, I hung out with Justin McLeod (save your applause for the end). Our venture, initially almost a foursome, turned into just him and I. As we were leaving the metropolis of Graceville, we both reflected on how long it had been since we had gotten to hang out together. Too long since the days of old as we pined over musical geniuses, girl problems/solutions, the changing times, new found interests, and the common day-to-day jive. It was his idea to see a movie called The Ring. He raved about how reviewers compared the scariness of it to the likes of The Exorcist. This exercised some excitement in my tattered soul. However, when we drove to all three theaters in Dothan, none of them appeared to be showing this anticipated film. Justin made an inquiry to one of the nice gals at the ticket window and she informed McLeod that the release was delayed. He came back to the car and commented, "I'm must be slipping at my old age." For he had steered us wrong in our quest for entertainment pleasure (or did he). Then we headed over to the New Wal-Mart Super Center on the north side of the circle-city. I purchased a film on DVD called Higher Learning for $9.44. It's a movie about the racial issues at a diversely racially inept college. Well, when I went to pay for it, the check out girl (whom was "checking out" Justin the whole time) asked me I was seventeen years old. I remarked, very dumbfounded, yeah. She made me show her my license and I cooperated with her as the good consumer that I am. I laughed at the fact that I had never been carded for trying to buy an R-rated movie in my youth and she just told me thank you. I asked her if she thought I was twenty-two and she said no. I said, well I look twelve in my driver's license picture, so at least I look eighteen now. I guess that will turn in to being a blessing when I'm, oh I don't know, sixty. Justin and I continued on to Blockbuster Video and Movie Gallery where we picked up Waiting For Gufman, The Thing, The Outsiders, and The Distinguished Gentlemen. We had dinner at the elegant establishment Wendy's. All and all, it was a good night. We shared some food, some thoughts, some opinions, and some laughs. But what else would you expect from the two guys who get their kicks from saying, "Heresy’s Chocolate Pie" with a lisp?

"Sometimes God stills the storm to calm his frightened child. Sometimes he lets the storm rage and calms his child instead."
--Unknown

No comments: