Saturday, October 26, 2002

Long Drives On Jackson County Nights

Clear days make dark nights.
Broken hearts make the night seem even darker.
Pulling out of my driveway
Makes me feel like I’m giving up the fight.
But right now it seems like a good idea.
I need to leave and just get away.
I want to drive until the sun comes up
Or as far as this tank of gas will get me.
I just want to drive as fast as my car will go.
To think about all the reasons I’m leaving.
As my radio plays, I try to sing along.
I find a song that matches the mood.
Like a conductor starts his orchestra,
The notes flow legato from my speakers.
It starts the symphony of my heart.
I scream along the words, as if they were my own.
My attention draws from the road and
Onto my performance at hand.
My wreck less daydreaming only endangers the winding turns.
While the grass that grows on the side of the road
Withers by my panting stares.
There should be a law for people.
Against the wreck less endangerment of someone’s heart.
Because that’s all you’ve ever done.
My only regrets are the ones I never told you.
I sing so loud, I can’t even hear the music.
I somehow hope you hear these words.
I want you to feel the aching pains that lye within my heart.
It’s stupid to think you can hear me.
But by chance, I pray that my words don’t go unheard.
With the last bit of energy I have left within me,
I end my thoughts of you.
I want you to see how I feel.
Not for spite, anger, bitterness, or revenge,
But just so you will be aware.
I don’t want anyone to ever feel like this.
At this rate, I’m sure you’ll find others to break.
Broken hearts are common amongst young love.
Ironically, you seem to be making up for lost time.
As the last stanza is sung, I just want my life to move on.

No comments: