Monday, February 16, 2004

Last Day of Summer Camp

Every college semester there is one prospective graduate whom everyone believes and bets will not make it. This semester I am that guy. In my five years of college I have seen a couple or three people actually not make it. They were better students than I am. What happened to them was more a casualty than what they deserved. But for me to say I'm going to make it is no different than anyone else boldly proclaiming that they will make all A's. I'm going to do it. I suppose any doubters will have to be convinced with time.

I have it all taken care of. I've applied for graduation, had the registrar administer the graduation check, and been measured for cap and gown. I have it all taken care of, that is except for my current courseload. As I have spoken with various faculty and staff in processing my application each have said, "Your all ready...as long as you pass." On one hand I take these as wise words from wise people. I understand they've seen this all a billion times. On the other hand I think to say to them, "O Ye of Little Faith" not to proclaim deity or anything.

If I'm right I'm sure you will all be happy. I'm certain that even those of you casting lots against me don't wish failure upon me. If I'm wrong you surely wouldn't remind me of this. You would only cry with me, not make me eat my words. Oh, and I would cry. Furthermore, I have a light courseload, only eleven hours. What aren't retakes are largely redundant of other classes. While the thought of missing this mark reduces me to a man in the fetal position I have no worries.

Whereas most semesters I have struggled with motivation, this time getting out is all the motivation I need. I can see the goal and I run toward the prize: completion. Soon I will tear through the finish line. The weeks are rolling along nicely. I've even been getting my work in on time. I can't remember the last time I did that. Perhaps I should rehearse saying, "No thank you professor I won't be needing extra time." I'm not taking any chances. I'm aiming to do so well that I can completely rest assured long before finals.

No comments: