Monday, March 08, 2004

Relax, It's Just A Coma

It's that part of the show when I kick my feet up on the couch, have a cold drink and tell you about my day. So listen up, would ya? You don't know where my feet are or what I'm drinking, but I'll share with you nonetheless. Besides it wouldn't kill you to work your imagination.

My uncle is doing better day by day. If you missed it he was in a wreck and has been in a coma since. Anyway, I have been really encouraged this week. He's breathing on his own a few hours of each day and when we hold his eyelids open he focusses on different people in the room. He even moves his eyes in answer to questions. Even the doctors have confirmed that these actions are not merely of reflex. It's been a long three weeks, but I have gotten closer to my family. I was going to write about it last week. I was unable, however, to finish writing before the computer lab closed that night. I saved my work and have since not been able to return to it. What I am writing now are simply the hurried jottings I can get out cause I got to be out of here in five.

I think the events of this past month have really changed my family for the better. I too have been effected profoundly. The impact may not be measurable for months. And this might be a shocker, but I've really gotten curious about people in comas and how they can be assisted in waking out of them. I have gotten so curious that I have been toying with the idea of getting vocational training so that I could be an occupational therapist. It shocked me too, but I love the idea. Really hands-on. Anyway, if I don't get out of here they're going to lock me in.

I now will return to my Dr. Pepper.

No comments: