Tuesday, March 16, 2004

Death And Well, You Know...

These days, it seems as if I'm growing older at a more prominent rate than previous times in my life. Of course, every second that passes, is a second closer to the grave. Day by day. Hour by hour. Minute by minute. Second by second. And as they say, every day above ground is a good day. But, really, I'm a Christian and all the aesthetics of life and death don't affect me because I believe life is eternal and my supernatural soul with be Christ in Heaven after my physical body is not longer inhaling oxygen. It's like The Dingee's said, "Dying was the easiest part, now I'm afraid of life." And really, it's all metaphysics anyway.

These thoughts of my earthly demise and decay stream from the struggles that occurred today when I did my taxes. I've helped my Dad with mine every year before, but today I filed my 1040EZ solely and hopefully without any errors. This is just another example of me growing up. Pretty soon you'll read about me falling in love, going back to do post-graduate work, getting married, doing ministry, graduating with my MA and maybe Ph.D, and buying a house, having children, retiring, and dying. Woo... I better slow down.

Death and Taxes, the only things that never change. There's a lot of insight into those words. Now that I'm doing my taxes by myself, death seems only footsteps away. Maybe I'm jumping the gun at tad. I'm only 23. But, nobody is guaranteed their next breath, so, I'm just going to sit back and gasp some clean, eh... some air for a few.

As well as I should be able to write by now, I know this might not flow perfectly or even be comprehensible, but it's what's floating through my feeble mind. I'm just starting to realize that my youth is over and I am virtually on my way to false teeth and watching the Price Is Right just before my afternoon nap. Don't leave us Bob!

"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?" Pedro The Lion, Rejoice, from the album Control.

No comments: