Tuesday, March 23, 2004

Don't Pass Out Yet! We'll Be Singing Later

I've never figured out why people get so excited to do trivial things. It's like there's all this anticipation that is built up and then when it's done, it's over. But, when it comes to Biblical things or something on that level (circa: worthwhile), people tend to not be as enthused. And when I say people, I mean me...

"During the days of Jesus' life on earth, he offered up prayers and petitions with loud cries and tears to the one who could save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverent submission" -Hebrews 5:7, NIV.

Don't get me wrong blue, I know what you're thinking, and it's not true. It ain't me babe. I love to do the trivial things too. I get excited about going to see a band live, having a day off from work, or eating some Krystal or Waffle House late at night, just like everyone else. But, it seems to me that I and everyone else can surface more joy and expression in these ordinary events than doing those things in which proves that we belong to an extraordinary Redeemer.

One example of this, as from the previous verse's indication, is the issue of prayer. If you're trying to be like Christ, it could help your stride and advancement toward that goal if you did one thing; pray like him!

Crazy as it seems, I love to pray. I guess it's just a 'me' thing. I'm sure everyone can say it, including myself, but I don't know, when I pray, I get a peace. This is explained in scripture, of course, and the Bible even teaches us how to pray. The Lord's Prayer, which is more of a model than a word-for-word recitation, gives us a clue how to start, what to pray for, and how to say it. But even with a nod from God, my passion for a plentiful and prolific prayer life is flawed by one aspect--it's not always honest.

Praying honestly is praying fervently and selflessly. I'm not saying it's bad to pray for yourself because that is obviously absurd. We all have problems and God is the only one who constantly and consistently cares about your burdens and strife. However, when you prayers start becoming, "God do this for me, thanks," you've really run into some problems.

Maybe the reason I like praying so much is because mine start to sound like the example given above. I sometimes just pray to pray. Whoa... Pray to pray? Is this me taking advantage of something? Does God even hear me when I'm mumbling off rudimentary and incoherent thoughts all to the tune of a concluding and a not so astounding amen?

Philippiansns 4:6 "Don't not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God" (NIV).

If Christ submitted his concerns in worshipful and respectful submission, ought I do the same if I expect God to lower himself out of perfection to hear my feeble and petty cries? I should and I will. In relation to Christ, I'm nothing more than dirt on his sandals. However, since Christ atoned for you and I, we have the availability to cast our concerns to God whenever we need to.

Priesthood of the believer = Jesus is our mediator = PRAY!

With that freedom, there also comes a responsibility to treat this time of intersession with reverence. I believe God hears my every word, but limits what he does according to his will. However, if I'm just throwing some fuzz up to the "big man upstairs," I might as well just save it. God doesn't just want our words or our weekly 10%, he wants our time, minds, and hearts; our everything!

No comments: