Monday, November 10, 2003

Relevancy

I talked to my friend Thais today. She hails from Switzerland. Even though we didn’t talk about this today, I can’t help but think about being relevant to the world around me. Thais and I have discussed the pros and cons of Christian post-modern thought and what being a person in a progressive culture entails. Although, I don’t always agree with her (albeit, I don’t ever agree with anyone), she makes some really good points. I think it’s sensible to conclude that as Christians, we are called to be significant to those around us in our homes, families, communities, counties, states, etc. Why does the world change us? Why do we wait for the "times to change" before we do something? Shouldn’t the church’s job be to spread the unchanging absolute truth to the very changing relativistic world? I’m thinking purely on the notion that I haven’t been an applicable person with views that are pertinent to the people in my hood. Some might ask, "What if those who you are trying to reach don’t care?" I don’t remember anyone, anytime in scripture worrying about that. We are commanded to spread the Gospel, not to think about doing it. I say this to myself before I say it to anyone else.

No comments: