Tuesday, November 04, 2003

Holiday Everyday

We citizens of the world are big on celebration. Most times we don't care if we got anything worth celebrating or not. We're here for the party. As long as the days of the week end in "y" we'll find something to throw our hands in the air and "woo-hoo" about. All we need is something to give us that emotional high so we can forget our troubles.

This is not to say that there's no call for celebration. There's plenty. Life. Breath. Togetherness. Prozac. You know, all that stuff. But why fill a book with things to be happy about? If we need such a book I'm concerned that maybe we're not really happy to begin with. Every Good and Perfect Gift is from God. Can't we just be happy with Him? We have a problem with this. We'd rather thank the leaves for falling.

I like a lot of things in this world. I like the way leaves crunch under my feet in the autumn months. I like turkey and Dorito sandwiches. I like stuffed animals and odd happy meal toys. I like Nick@Nite. I like breaking rules. I like tricking people. I like getting new music and subjecting friends to it. I like arguing about fanship with Jeff. I like a lot of things, but if my happiness could be maintained by them I would be a sad man.

Our definitions of happiness can be so fragile. When dreams are shattered we get new dreams. When people leave or die on us we make new friends. When heroes disappoint us, we find someone else to look up to. When all else fails we opt to take joy in the simple things like coffee or the night sky.

Happiness is nothing short of knowing God. Stop rewriting the definition. You only do that to convince yourself you're happy when you're really not. You do it. I do it. We all do it. And if we don't stop we'll continue to be miserable. So I encourage you follow this definition and Get Happy!

No comments: