Thursday, August 15, 2002

TV Repair Guys

Just call us the TV repair guys. Last night after a tasty trip to the local Waffle House, Bo Hamilton, Nathan Ziegler, Jay Mudd, and I came back to school to watch a movie. It ended up just being Jay and myself trying to watch Office Space. Jay grabbed his roommate’s VCR and I jacked a chord from Chase and proceeded into the dayroom of Smith Hall to watch it. Well, I tried to connect the patch chord from the VCR to the TV, however I messed up by pushing the cable jack partially into the TV. We were able to get it partway out, but after several failed attempts we could not get it to stay. Then Jay went and pushed the cable jack into TV all the way. At this point we realized we were going to have to do some surgery. I asked Jay to unplug the TV and we tried to get the back open. I went to get my tools and Jay got his Swiss Army Knife. We kept trying to just take the back off, but it didn't work. Jay then grabbed the plug out of the wall outlet and said, "It'll be good if we unplug it." I asked him what he unplugged earlier and he said the VCR. I was glad we weren't dead. I showed Jay these bolts we needed to take off. So, we got the wrench and after about 5 minutes of trying to find the right sockets and socket extension we finally got half the back off. We then continued on with trying to grab the jack. Jay got his hands on it and I was holding the back of the TV down with all my might. Jay finally pulled it up. We had victory, but that was shattered when we realized that Jay had pulled the entire jack out and the technically named piece that actually plugged into the TV. Well, since we already had half the back on, we figured why not take the rest of the back of the TV off. All of sudden the door opened and we got into one of those guilty-but-trying-to-act-like-we-weren't-doing-anything-wrong positions. Bo just laughed at us and joined in the effort to fix the TV that we had so very much broken. After undoing four bolts, we got it off and found the object in which we had to put the plug back into. The adhesive from the back of the gadget had come off, so it wouldn't stay. That was the problem that we had from the beginning. Well my friends, this time we had a solution. Duct Tape! So vigorously trying to get it on there without letting the tape touch anything else but trying to hurry up without getting caught we finally got it on. We put the TV back together and that took five minutes or so. We plugged in the TV and prayed that it work. It did! This was a success. Then we took a good five minutes just to laugh at the fact that there was now duct tape in the TV. We had broke the TV but fixed it for future generations of BCFer's to use. You now owe us $105.97...

No comments: