Friday, August 30, 2002

A Day Or Two

I have this weekly assignment for Theology class to study a particular attribute of God. This week's attribute was God's spirituality. This study includes looking at the passages that give insight to His attributes, self-reflection, looking at and understanding the definition, and memorizing one of the verses that shows this attribute in the Holy Scriptures. Here are my thoughts:


Attribute: Spirituality


Personal Reflection on Attribute:

This attribute seems like it should be a key element to my Christian faith. God being God has all knowledge of everything. God’s immutable qualities are unlimited. He has all the power and authority over all the earth. The immaterial and non-physical nature of God just represents His awesomeness even more. God doesn’t fit in a box. God isn’t a tangible object. You can’t touch God. However, he’s everywhere at once and able to hear my cries and anyone else’s at the exact same time. We consider it obvious to think about this quality but it really is a harder attribute to understand. How can God not be a touchable thing, entity, or being? Yet, have all the power to be everywhere at once. Sometimes I forget to think about God’s invisible abilities, attributes, and qualities. But we know from Romans 1 that they have been clearly seen so that all men are without excuse. In my walk, when I pray for needs, wants, concerns, and worries I need to remember just how awesome God is!


Personal Prayer:

Dear God, as these words flow from my heart, mouth, and fingers I pray that I might come into a new understanding of just how great you are. I am so unworthy of your love and grace, yet you freely give it to me everyday. As I think about your spirituality I should strive for your perfection. It is that perfection that your son Jesus Christ modeled while he walked on this earth and the perfection that we should strive for in our daily lives. Even though I will never meet perfection in my strides, I should live holy and strive for the best. Dear God, as I live out this week and I try to do your will be with me and help me to understand your attributes. For only in my knowledge of you will I grow and come into a deeper understanding of you. Thank you for saving me when I wasn’t worth saving and still am not. Help me in my tasks and duties. I love you; praise you, and thank you for everything…

"Wherever any precept of traditional morality is simply challenged to produce its credentials, as though the burden of proof lay on it, we have taken the wrong position."-- C.S. Lewis The Abolition of Man

No comments: