Friday, August 23, 2002

A Sucker For Happy Endings

The first week of school is almost over. Just one more day left. Friday. I was talking to a chat buddy earlier on AIM and she lives in Australia. It was already Friday and about 4 P.M. in the afternoon. I was thinking about that in these early morning hours and I realized at that time tomorrow my entire day would be done. My duties will be finished. My obligations will have been met. I will feel relaxed and at ease for the first time in five days. Before I can experience these wonders and joys, I have to actually start the day. In about 7 hours I will be walking into my first class. As I sit here, I wonder what I could do to make it better or worse. What if I go and stay up all night, reading and rereading my assignment thoroughly over so that when I get in class I would be the most prepared I could possibly be. And my maximum learning potential will be at its fullest peak? What if I go and stay up all night and just skip out on the class and not worry about it. Will the absence of my presence cause any certain reaction to anyone’s day? Will the absence of my being better or worsen anyone’s certain inevitable day? I don't think either way I'll be making a significant contribution...

"And the piano sounds like a carnival. And the microphone smells like a beer. And they sit at the bar and put bread in my jar. And say 'Man what are you doing here?'" - Billy Joel, Piano Man

No comments: