Wednesday, August 14, 2002

Falling Under Conviction

Have you ever see those signs? You know, watch for falling conviction. The next 5 miles of road is under conviction. You know why you never see those signs, because intimate objects never experience conviction. But, guess what? I had mine today. Today is the first day of the rest of my life. Well, that statement is not totally true because everyday is like that. I made myself get up today before 2:00 P.M., but it still wasn't as early as I should have gotten up. I really need to get back into the routine of going to bed semi-early because I have 8:00 o'clock classes again starting next Monday. Who am I kidding? I never had a routine. I got to see my Uncle Ken and Aunt Linda today for a couple of hours. They've been missionaries to Paraguay, South America for a long time. It was a swell time and they even took me out to lunch so I got some free food (Circle Grille incase you were curious). I was sort of anxious at first because they're really godly people and are not always the easiest to just talk to, you know what I mean? It ended up being good and I'm glad I got to hang with them. They just retired from the field, but they've been traveling the states since 'retiring' telling of their adventures with any church that will have them. They have an awesome ministry.

Tonight, I ate dinner with Rebekah Fries and Jamie Echols. It was nice of Rebekah to fix food for me, but she's just that kind of girl. So on with my conviction. My heart was broken by God, which under the circumstances is a good thing. The Holy Spirit brought to my attention something that was erroneously wrong with my walk; as opposed to the normal times when He tells me I'm doing all right (insert sarcasm). Actually, this is a sin of mine that has been a thorn in my flesh for 8 years or more. This is definitely not the first time I've felt conviction for it. There have been times that I've gone days, weeks, or months without falling susceptible to it. The funny thing is, when I go a day without a particular sin, I sometimes view that as deliverances. In a sense, I have been delivered because God has taken it away from me. But, Satan will be there tomorrow with it in a different form, shape, or color to tempt me. It's my choice to sin. It's my choice to put myself in a predicament that might cause me to stumble. It will be a daily struggle, but what isn't? But, hey, I have Jesus' help. His crucifixion gives me the strength to sustain any measure of strife, hurt, or sorrow that the enemy can hurl my way. To be more accurate, there are many things that God is working out within me. I say that because God is fixing my ideas, beliefs, statues, ideologies, fears, and expectations to what He wants them. I'm just being patient and saying, I probably should have taken care of that when you tried to tell me I was messing up the first time. For the record, having quiet times help. So many things to do. I'll let you know what that is later, maybe. I'm off to make a phone call.

"Where did our respectable convictions go?" -The Get Up Kids

No comments: