Sunday, May 23, 2004

Sleeping on the floor is an inexpensive way to meet bugs.

Most days when my mind really gets to working it is when I should be going to sleep. So naturally I fight it. Even if what I sit up to do is insignificant like looking up songs to see how many people have covered them, which is what I've been doing these wee hours of tonight. A second ago I got a little too tired to read the screen and decided to lay down on the floor behind me. I woke up fifteen minutes later still as tired but not ready to give in yet. I didn't encounter any bugs this time but I just as well could have. Tne point is I'm endangering my life to sit here and write you this. Spider babies could be hatching in my ears as we speak.

A little known fact is that the land that the apartments I live in are built on was formerly and remains a hotbed on insectual activity. Sure, bugs are everywhere and all of that but this is different. Every bug you've ever met, his roots are in Florida. I swear. This is their natural habitat and they want it back. They are like the Indians or Native Americans in that respect. They have every right, but I don't care they freak me out. They make me paranoid. For example, I'll be sitting here and my leg will itch. I have to wonder if the itch means I'm about to lose blood at the fangs of an angry mosquito. I'm pale which makes me an easy, more approachable, target.

I'm not usually quick enough to kill them. It's not like I ever learned JU-JIT-Su, mind over matter harry carry riddle or whatever. And you might say, what about bug sprays or bug bombs? No. They refuse to die. They are much like Bebe's Kids in that way. This is hand-to-hand combat. Luckily, I sometimes manage to catch them when they don't have all their eyes on me. Oh and when I do it is surely war. You may ask what war is good for. Plenty of things like killing bugs for example. You may ponder what a huge waste this has been. I offer no apology. Actually, I can't believe I sat awake another thirty minutes for this. I call myself a night owl but my gears could not possibly be turning.

hoot.

No comments: