Tuesday, July 29, 2003

The Purest Form of Living Is Honesty

Usually, I would say that I’m a sincere person.

I strive to only say what I mean and mean what I say. Of course we all fall short of this practice daily because after all, we are only mere mortals. However, my inability to follow the standard of "Let your yes be yes and your no be no" doesn’t come as any sort of surprise for myself. I am by nature, a dishonest person.

I embellish stories that I tell, I lie about feats I’ve accomplished, and most importantly I am dishonest with God. In some sort of dreamscape reality, I communicate to the Lord God on this amazingly, superhuman, spiritual level daily. It’s like we speak the King James Version language in our conversations daily. Yes, it’s good to be in my shoes when I’m chattin’ it up with the Father in Heaven.

This is another one of those flights of the imagination that I was talking about (and Justin says I don’t like anything fantasy). I am basically lying to myself.

My meager mortality and depraved sin nature are the main reason for this faultiness in my spiritual walk. Yet, I could help myself out more by not living in this fantasyland. It’s as if I’m almost in a game of Candyland and I’m not winning.

When I talk to God, I don’t say, "Wherefore art thy Father." I talk to him in a normal voice using regular English and I even say "crap" and "sucks" sometimes (are you shocked?). While I think I could use better words, I’m just being myself—I’m being honest. And if I have sin in my heart, at least I am being an honest sinner, which is always better than a proud one.

The point to this little ramble is just to realize that being honest with yourself and being honest with God are the keys to your walk; the latter being the most pertinent. God doesn’t want you to seek him falsely, but wholly and Christ-like. When we approach the throne, we need to have our hearts right and then give them to God daily. We shouldn’t ever have notions that God is just waiting for us to talk to him. God’s desire is a relationship with his creation, but He’s not just sitting around. Humility goes a long way when asking God for something in your prayers. So be honest with God first and foremost, but also be honest with yourself.

As I have written these things, I am saying them first to myself...

No comments: