Tuesday, June 25, 2002

Twenty Two Years Ago

It was twenty two years ago this day, at 7:56 A.M. that I was born into the world. Originally planned by Thomas and Beverly Watkins (my folks) to be a girl, I was 10 pounds and 1 and 1/2 ounces. My tentative name was Regina Ann. Thank goodness my parents picked out a boy's name on the way to the hospital. It was then, that I became Jeffery Glen Watkins. Today's been a good birthday. I'm at that point in adulthood where it's just another day. Not too much significance, but there is something I think is important to remember. God has been the sustaining factor in the breath still being breathed through my lungs. I thank him for having a purpose for me and keeping me around this long I look forward to many other birthdays. Just as a note, here are some significant things that occurred on my date of birth:

June 25, 1867 ~ The first patent for "barbed wire" is granted to Lucien Smith of Ohio.

June 25, 1962 ~ The Supreme Court rules 6-1 reciting an "official" prayer in New York state public schools crosses the border separating church and state and is therefore unconstitutional.

June 25, 1950 ~ North Korean troops cross the 38th parallel and invade South Korea, triggering the three-year Korean War.

June 25, 1876 ~ Attempting to raise public awareness (and investment money) Alexander Grahm Bell demonstrates the telephone at Philadelphia's Centennial Exposition.

June 25, 1981 ~ In a blow to proponents of equal rights for women, the Supreme Court rules that a male-only military draft is constitutional.

June 25, 1951 ~ CBS transmits the first color television broadcast with an hour-long program featuring Arthur Godfrey, Faye Emerson, Sam Levenson and Ed Sullivan.

Celebrity Birthdays:

Roy G. Ross
Carly Simon
Phyllis George
Lord Louis Mountbatten
George Orwell
June Lockhart
George Michael

At My Age, I've done these things this many times:

Blinked ~ 104,741,322
Breathed ~ 132, 435,388
Eaten this many meals ~ 24,926
Heart has beaten ~ 1,047,537,000
It has pumped this many gallons of blood ~ 20,459,707
Slept this many hours ~ 71,947
Slept this many days ~ 2,997

Useless Info 101...

No comments: