Tuesday, June 25, 2002

Birthday Wishes

When I was 14, 15, or 16, I had a birthday, much like the previous years. I was having some problems and disputes with friends at the time and I was upset about something. People were talking behind my back and saying really negative things about me. Needless to say, I was mad. So, around my birthday time, I wrote this poem as a way to vent, express, and give a statement of my feelings. These are those words:

Birthday Wishes

Yea, my birthday, what do I want? Hum, let’s see, maybe a new phone, so I can talk to my friends. What about a new watch, so I know what time it is when I’m out with my friends. Maybe just some money, so when I’m with my friends I can spend some. But, let’s get real; I Have No Friends. Well, sure there’s him or her, but do I have friends I can say, “Yeah, there my real friends.” I mean, all they do is lie to you, talk behind your back, and inevitable let you down. Don’t you do that to them? Well, don’t you? No! From now on, I’ll try to be the better person. Well, I mean that and say that right now of course, but come tomorrow it will be different. Tomorrow she’ll tell her brother about me and he’ll tell me. Or, he’ll say something to her or she will say something to him. Then, she’ll tell me it, but then tell me not to care. I will then say, I don’t care what people think about me, but I really do. That is part of human nature, right? Well this I know: that the love I share for people is different in many ways. The love I have for her is different than the love that I have for him. I guess it’s weird and funny, but I should have love for them no matter what they do. I shouldn’t worry about if my heart gets broken or not. Yea, that’s what I’ll do because it’s being the better person that is important and that is what my father would do.

"...If I die tonight, I die tonight..."

No comments: