Wednesday, September 25, 2002

I Own A Record Label

Not really, but three semesters ago I had an idea to start one. I felt like God had given me the knowledge (the little that I know) about the industry, the independent scene, and music in general to create an effective tool to serve God with. Even though nothing has happened with it, I still pray about it periodically. Inspired by the Delta Commercial in Ebonics (that you can download), I named it Lickety-Split Records. Quite clever I thought. But, because of the obvious implications, I would have to change the name. Anyway, I burned a CD the other day because I have to go to Pensacola, Florida on Thursday for my Clinical Psychology Internship Class (Psychology 404). It’s our orientation for our chaplaincy, but the drive alone is two hours one way. We’ll leave here around Noon and get back between 8:00 PM and 9:00 PM. I titled the CD Songs For The Long Drive On Thursday. It makes so much sense after you heard the story. Now, if you were going to buy it from a store it might seem interesting right? Maybe not. The CD will kill at least one hour or so. Maybe I'll be social on the trip, but that's usually hard for me because I like to drift off into a conscious yet nocturnal state with my music, writing, reading, or thoughts. Here's what I put on the best mix CD of the year:

Songs For The Long Drive On Thursday

1. Intro "I'm taking the day off" from Ferris Buller's Day Off
2. The Gomorrah Lapse "Silver Celeste"
3. The Beatles "I'm Only Sleeping"
4. Sarah McLachlan "Arms Of An Angel"
5. Forever Changed "Simply Human"
6. Elvis Costello and Burt Bacharach "I'll Never Fall In Love Again"
7. Bad Religion "Punk Rock Song"
8. Stryper "Soldiers Under Command"
9. Jimmy Eat World "Your House"
10. Dashboard Confessional "Rapid Hope Loss"
11. Moby ?-Something that was on my computer from "18"
12. Seventh Star "Wretched Man"
13. Dead Yet Living "The Bag Song"
14. A-Ha "Take On Me"
15. Taking Back Sunday "Ghost Man On Third"
16. Bob Dylan "Like A Rolling Stone"
17. Something Corporate "Punk Rock Princess"
18. Rufio "Face The Truth"
19. Damien Jurado "Sarah"
20. Elvis Costello "Radio Radio"
21. The Beatles "Here, There and Everywhere"
22. The Get Up Kids "Overdue"

"...But I know, as I hammered those nails into your beautiful hands. Your eyes still try to search for mine, but I look away. Now your eyes are the only thing that can save me. I'm still so afraid of them piercing. You're breaking into my prison, just pretended for a while my soul is dying. I won't look away..." Blindside "Pitiful" from SILENCE

No comments: