Tuesday, June 27, 2006

"How the girls can turn to ghosts before your eyes"

Hi, how are you? I am fine. I wanted to take a second and thank everyone who contributed to making my 26th birthday a very memorable day. Thanks for the emails, phone calls, My Space comments, cards, and gifts. It is much appreciated.

I also wanted to mention a couple things. As I get older, I tend to try newer things or do stuff that I haven't ever done before without much resistance. It's not that I'm trying to become more adventurous or anything. I guess I'm just not as worried about things as I once was. Shoot, maybe things come to me with more ease now. Two things: The other day, I bought a new pair of jeans. However, this time was different. The section I chose to shop in was the ladies department. I bought a pair of girl jeans (Levis). For the record, I wear like a 15 medium in girls (I can fit in a 13, but they're too tight). I like the way they fit tighter than guy jeans in my size. That's the only reason. Don't fret; I look pretty good and in no way am I gay. The other thing I did was to purchase a song from iTunes. This is a popular thing (as is the trend for guys to wear girls jeans). But I have never done it before. I bought a Dashboard Confessional song with the wonderful title "The End of an Anchor" which is a B-side from the critically acclaimed A Mark, A Mission, A Brand, A Scar. Supposedly, Chris (ala Dashboard) is a Christian. This song is, again supposedly, about his relationship with God. Since I have never heard it, I'm sure you haven't either. And I wanted to share the words with you because they are very thoughtful and introspective.

I was away for a while
But I'm hoping someday you'll forgive me
Though I don't deserve it
I'll cherish it well if you give me one of your new starts

Just one more last chance
I swear that I'll earn it
If you front me for now
I'm good for it I swear
I'm better now I swear

In earlier days, they'd persecute people
They'd carry them off, and hobble their legs
For lesser offenses, THEN how I have harmed you
And still you allow me to walk free of pain

Though I punish myself
I will never settle
The debts I've incurred for scorning the face
Of absolute beauty, and measureless grace
And though I once mocked you
I'm dying to pay for it now
I'm dying to pay for it now

So hand me the rocks to help weigh me down
And tether my legs with a cord tightly bound
To the end of an anchor thrown into the sound
And test me to see if I will rise against the worst that it can get

I wasn't well for a while
I savored the things that I knew were sure to destroy me
And that seemed to hold me
That seemed to carry me where I couldn't go
On the strength of my own
Well, I should've known
That gets me nowhere
I've learned that now I swear

In earlier days, they'd persecute people
They'd carry them off, and hobble their legs
For lesser offenses, THEN how I have harmed you
And still you allow me to walk free of pain

Though I punish myself
I will never settle
The debts I've incurred for scorning the face
Of absolute beauty, and measureless grace
And though I once mocked you
I'm dying to pay for it now
I'm dying to pay for it now, now, now

So hand me the rocks to help weigh me down
And tether my legs with a cord tightly bound
To then end of an anchor thrown into the sound
And test me to see if I will rise against the worst that it can get

Well, I wasn't sure that I could
Well, I wasn't sure that I could
Well, I wasn't sure that I could
But, I can

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

women's jeans jeff?? women's??

well, i guess that's the same as a girl buying a pair of guy jeans... i used to wear my brothers' hand me down clothes all the time when i was growing up...

i'm thinking of going to a Dashboard Confessional concert in august here. i think i shall. (well, that's what i'd like to do, anyway...)

i like the words to the song. thanks.

oh, and i still have yet to buy a song off of iTunes. i downloaded a free song last year sometime, but i have yet to actually pay for one. haha doubt i will considering i don't have an iPod, and i don't have windows xp. living in the past. haha your present is coming, i've just been a slacker with it... ehh. sorry.

Anonymous said...

I think I'm starting to come to terms with your girl jeans now, although at the time I thought I might have been traumatized a bit...I have to say, I can't think of another friend with whom I'd choose to shop for girl jeans. Good times! I still think you should have bought the pirate shirt to go with them though.

Joe Kennedy said...

i was reassured tonight that, indeed, many men buy women's jeans. i had to check, because at first i didn't believe you.

if your story had not been backed up, i would have definitely harrassed you greatly. even though i own some unisex socks.

Thais said...

such a "manly man", now.

Freezer said...

girls jeans eh? very emo of you. i still have never purchased a song from itunes. check out www.allofmp3.com. it's a russian site similar to itunes, but really cheap. it works well too. it's legit. i've bought 10 or 15 albums off of it and they're like $2-$3 a piece usually.

also, i have an extra ticket to the dashboard show in july in orlando. it's the one on the 22. tammi can't come with me. let me know if you'd be interested.