Sunday, February 26, 2006

I'm a cowboy; on a steel horse I ride

Okay, I'm pretty sure this is going to be a touchy subject, but has anyone ever made the "if we're not married by [insert age], we should get married" pact? I have, a lot. I started in college (it's probably the first time I heard of such a thing). I think the first girl I said it to, we agreed on the age of seventy or something. Well, since that first time, I have uttered those words quite a bit and lowered the age a lot. So much so, I think I'm about at the "if we're not married by 30" stage. Which is scary. I really want to get married. But, my choices and my pursuit of the ideal, have warranted discussion within my own head that it may not ever happen. This is wacky, I know. Has anyone ever done it. I'm sure there are some ladies who read this site that can attest that she and I have made the promise. If so, don't hate me please? I'm just trying to figure it out.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think i made a pact with one of my guy friends from busch gardens like 8 years ago that if i wasn't married by 50 and he wasn't either, i'd marry him...BUT i wasn't really all that serious, and i'm pretty sure he wouldn't remember it, anyway. it was really just a joke. and, do people really ever take those seriously, anyway?? don't know about that one!


and, i am pretty sure you haven't made a pact like that with me... so, you don't have to worry about breaking any promise with me!

later, jeff! (i mean, jack! ;-))
-michelle (half of m&m)

Anonymous said...

funny you should ask... i got the idea from Will & Grace a long time ago, and ended up making that pact with Alex... if by the time I'm 35, we're both still unmarried, he will do me the honor... but i am sure he will find someone... he has a fabulous girlfriend now... so maybe i need to find a new pact-mate... just in case...

Joe Kennedy said...

I've got four of them. And I'm SO glad they're finally getting married and there was no agreement in writing. Oy. But at one time I had worked myself down, from age 40 to 30. At 25, I'm praying that last one will get married... so I'm safe. 3 down, 1 to go.

blaize said...

Samwise Gamgee got married in the 4nd Age of Middle Earth...So I was thinking you could get married in the space age...That supposedly started in 1957. So there ya go. You have plenty of time.

Samantha said...

I've always thought of those pacts as a big ol' joke. I hope I get married, but it's been slowly coming to my attention that it wouldn't be the end of the world if I didn't. Who knows?

BTW, it's me, Samantha, formerly of ThirdKid and now of MidChildSublet; yeah, I wandered in the other day, but I was sure you wouldn't remember me. It's quite nice that you did. :) I'll be checking in more often now.