Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Thank You Kevin King

As summer ended and camp let out, Kevin, one of the children who attended camp this year, gave me a gift card for Tower Records (and I wasn't even his coach). Well, I spent it tonight and nearly forty of my own bucks (not FEMA's) and this is what I will get in a week:

Death Cab For Cutie - Plans



The newest release from these Washington state indie poppers who make the jump to the majors with this record. To some, this is horrible. While others see the potential for greatness. I don't know. I still love DCFC and dislike the OC. I'm looking forward to hearing it.

Stretch Arm Strong - Free At Last



Positive hardcore with punk rhythm and metal licks. These guys could seriously be the heaviest thing I currently listen to, which is sort of sad considering I used to even like some Death Metal. But from what I've read, this release sounds more like what A Revolution Transmission did, but has lyrical elements similar to their last effort, Engage. Not that I really care, but it's kind of cool. This CD comes with an autographed copy of the insert/liner notes.

The Juliana Theory - Deadbeat Sweetheartbeat



Don't ask me what the title means. TJT's last album, Love, had some good moments. Yet, it had some really shoddy moments too. I'm scared. The samples of songs I've heard from this album are heavier, but word on the street is, they have gone back to more of their pop roots. This is good news. This disc also comes with bonus DVD highlighting the making of this LP.

Miles Davis - Birth of Cool



I am slowly getting essential Davis albums in my collection and this was my next acquisition. Recorded in 1949 and 1950, this was basically Miles' first album. Later on, he would become the great trumpeter we know him as, but it was sessions like these that built his arsenal of sound and unique textured-playing. Miles Davis invented a genre with this record. It certainly wouldn't be the last time he did so.

No comments: