Friday, July 02, 2004

Pearl Street

I lied to a heroin addict today
Please sir, go away
I told him I had no money
Now I feel like crap
But I can't help him score some crack
Do I tell him to get a job?
Even when I live my life like a slob
I think he's worse
Pointing fingers is always painless
Convincing people that your view is clearer
An ongoing saga of underestimating the inferior
Frankly speaking is not so appealing
Morris code would have been easier
I'm sorry, I haven't been out gallivanting
Even though deception was still lingering
How do I get you to just go away?
Maybe I can help you shoot up some other day
Doesn't Mark say to give to all who ask of you?
How does one go about speaking his point of view?
What will it take to share my joy?
When all I can see is his pain
Suffering makes more cents than donating change
Tell me sir, how did you get addicted to pain
Everyone already points at me
So you and I are kind of the same
Except I don't give into narcotic depravity
I want to believe the lies you say
Feeling horrible on such a beautiful day
I want to stand up for guys like him
Instead of just giving in
What's the answer for junkies today?
It can't just be, You need to get saved
I have to show him that God cares
And that I'm not just some white boy who is scared
Jesus, Gandhi, and Buddha all agree
I should always strive to help those people
Who are less fortunate than me

No comments: