Friday, June 18, 2004

When A Man Lies To A Woman

The song, When A Man Loves A Woman (performed by Percy Sledge), is one of my favorites. When it plays, I always get a comfortable and familiar feeling. I love it; the tune, the vocals, and the quality behind it's 1966 recording. And I understand that when you are in love, you say and do some pretty foolish things. It's all a basic expression of that wonderful feeling. However, the effect behind the many outlandish comments, pleas, and promises you make is astounding because most of them are in fact lies.

This song, basic to the post's premise, makes claims that most of us are not comfortable with. Yet, we forsake sensibility to live with deception. And for what? Basically, the ability to communicate love beyond anybody else's comprehension. "Baby, you've been in love before. But I'm gonna love you better than the last guy!" I guess it's recreating the word "love." But, this song just makes endless claims, that I believe, are just lies. Case in point:

When a man loves a woman, can't keep his mind on nothin' else. He'd change the world for the good thing he's found.

I think I've been in love and I know I've certainly loved a member of the opposite sex before, but I can't ever not think about work that day, my outstanding debt, and all the other hindrances of life. Also, I really don't possess the ability to change the world on any scale. So, is it really true?

If she is bad, he can't see it; she can do no wrong. Turn his back on his best friend if he put her down.

This third line really sounds like 1 Corinthians 13 ("love keeps no record of wrong"). However, I'm not giving up my best friend if he talks smack. I might kick him in this fat little head though.

When a man loves a woman, he'll spend his very last dime tryin' to hold on to what he needs. He'd give up all his comforts and sleep out in the rain, if she said that's the way it ought to be.

Okay, I have no problem with poverty. However, if she is the type of lady that requires me to give her all of my money, it will not work out 'cause I don't make that much. Again, poverty isn't bad, but I wouldn't even be with a woman that said, "Hey boy, go sleep outside because that's how I want it." Maybe Percy would?

Well, this man loves you, woman. I gave you everything I have, tryin' to hold on to your heartless love. Baby, please don't treat me bad.

Sacrificial love? I don't think that's what this is an example of. Don't let a girl ruin you life and then beg for her to treat you like you want to be treated. Relationships are 50/50.

When a man loves a woman, down deep in his soul. She can bring him such misery. If she is playin' him for a fool, he's the last one to know.

This is another lyric I like. So true to life is this. However, when you find out, kick her to the curb! Don't be played! Letting her have her way isn't love, it's called being a feminist.

Lovin' eyes can never see. When a man loves a woman he can do her no wrong. He can never want some other girl. Yes, when a man loves a woman. I know exactly how he feels, 'cause baby, baby, you're my world.

Unfortunately, the frail and faultiness of man is too pertinent in my life. I can always see. I never see my faults though. I always mess up. Like, I could want to see other people. Life doesn't really work like this. Shouldn't it be more like the song says?

No comments: