Tuesday, January 27, 2004

Mute Your Mom

Being bored on the internet in the school's computer lab is dangerous when so many of your friends online are music sites. I was clicking my way 'cross the www and I had made my to Y. So I clicked myself over to Pete Yorn's site just to see if by chance there was mention of new material. I was confident there wasn't. As the site loaded I remembered how graphic heavy it is. The page struggled to load and it hit me, the site is fully equipped with midi files of songs off Pete's latest. I had clicked the lil' speaker icon on the toolbar but it was taking its time. I knew not where the volume knob was.

Then...Bam! Music explosion. I tried to cover for myself by shrieking in anguish. Primordial white boy squall. The snippet of the first song ended and there was a pause. It seemed the nightmare had ended. I tried to pass the blame and announced the irony, "I had been trying to close that screen for five minutes." Hardly anyone seemed to notice except a couple of peoples.

That exhaled breath of anticipation of salvation escaped me a second too soon. The music began again. I tried to close the program but it wouldn't budge. I tried to open the volume. It seemed like it was about to open. I apologized and fiddled around for the volume knob as I waited still not sure this was going to work. I had gotten a hold of this one knob, God only knows what it's for, and had commenced to tuning it. I slid it all the way to the left and then all the way to the right. Each time, no lie, the file skipped just long enough that I believed I had gained volume control. I clicked the lil' speaker icon again and as I did a fellow informed me, "There are headphones in the back." It seems he thought I wanted a casual listen. I thought I almost had it, or that would have done the trick. I sat there for another second until he repeated himself. Twice.

At his urging I got up and found them. I ran full speed, grabbed them, and raced to the back of the hard drive. Since I couldn't see what went where I just started stabbing the hook up every which way I could. And then with the same explosiveness that it began the music was silenced. Heaven and earth proclaimed "Glory!" And that guy was happy too. So there you have it...One fun story from the computer

No comments: