Wednesday, May 29, 2002

Possibly The Worst Thing You Could Ever Do

I was hanging out with Mike Sutton and Chase Livingston today. Mike and I were playing a little game of 'horse' on Tony Hawk 3 and having a good time of borderline insanity meeting mid-day insomnia. Well, maybe that’s what it was like for me. Anyway, I was thinking about something today that I've done many times before. It's something that causes me much grief, anguish, and sorrow. Not the fact that I cannot forget about it or even get over it. It's just the mindset that my thinking turns to every time I hear those specific words and that precise melody being played. I have a theory and it is called The Song Theory. That theory unequivocally states that giving a girl (besides your wife or daughter) a song, is possibly the worst thing in the world that you could ever do.

By giving a girl a song, I am simply conveying that you let one song represent all of how you've ever felt, ever known, and ever loved about that person. Obviously, I do not have factual or legitimate evidence to back up this so-called theory, but I do think that I know a lot about the subject. I like to sing and when I sing, sometimes I imagine that my strained, tiresome voice is going to be heard by a particular girl while I’m riding in my car and singing a song to her. It's funny because it's almost as if I actually believe that she can hear me. By the way, this is not directed towards anybody or specifically any girl. I can just think back and remember all the times I decided this one song talked about her and now forever more I will be reminiscent of her when I think about that song. By all means, that is definitely not a bad thing. It just makes your emotions react differently than you're used to when you hear that song being played. I wonder if it's like this for a lot of people. There isn't any song that is better than the other; every one of them put those memories and feelings back into your cranium. Maybe I haven't gotten over these girls yet and these songs are metaphors for why I feel the way I feel towards them.

Going along with the standard thoughts and ideas behind this theory, there is nothing worse that you can ever do in life. I could quite possibly be blowing this out of proportion. Yes, I know I am being ridiculous. Please, no comments about that aspect of this post. In any case, there is nothing worse you can do and feel bad about in life (in the general sense of emotions in relationships) than giving a girl, besides your wife or daughter a song. There are some obvious things in life like murder, killing helpless critters, and losing your job because you were trying to steal company paper from the fax machine that makes you feel of no value, insignificant and terrified to live. The epitome of hurt after a relationship has gone awry is only filtered back up through the reservoirs of your heart when it is tapped by those proverbial words and familiar chords of a lost song somewhere between your head and your heart. That is most definitely the prevailing wind engulfing the fire of wretchedness and gloom that can be found in your soul. There can also be good times when recollecting an old long lost love song inside your heart. Thinking of all the happy times, joys, thrills, and adventures you've once shared with another member of the opposite sex. But, in reality, like Adam Sandler said we all know that "Love Stinks!" This has been Jeff Watkins with another addition of Possibly The Worst Thing You Could Ever Do

…and we’re clear…




No comments: