Thursday, February 07, 2008

A Real Post

(Instead of using a clever title, I figured I would just let you know that this is not another poem.)

Because of the other "Super Tuesday" this week, I have been thinking about the upcoming election. It doesn't hurt that John Edwards announced that he was dropping out of the race for the Democratic nomination here in New Orleans a couple weeks ago. Also, Barack Obama was here today at Tulane University attempting to earn votes from, presumably, the majority of black voters in the NOLA. Unrelated to this city, Mitt Romney also dropped out of the race for the GOP nomination. Things are getting interesting.

I really have no idea who to vote for this year. There isn't a supreme leader or standout idiot like four years ago (you might be surprised who I am talking about).

I can't believe I said this:

So, here is my satirical plea to you. If you vote for President Bush and get him reelected, I will vote for Hillary Clinton for president in 2008. Help me help you. Frankly, I'm not so sure that the former First Lady wasn't a worse nominee for the Democratic nomination than Kerry was. So, here it is: Bush 04, then Clinton in 2008. Deal?


Or even this.

I can believe, however that this is closer to the position I have nearly half a decade later.

Race or not, gender or not, religion or not, people should vote for who they feel will lead America the best. America is not the church; it's a country, whose founders were at best Deists. What makes this country great, however, is that all of those things shape the way people vote. And, a majority of people will gage their votes on criterion like that, as well as policies and issues.

If you want my advice, and you do because you're still reading, I say vote for the man (or woman) who will do the best job.

P.S. If it was 2004 again, I'd still pick Bush over Kerry, maybe.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good blog to go... I am An HR person for a fastly growing firm.I need to post jobs

for some of our internal activities. can someone suggest a better list of websites to list on.
Thank you in a advance............
Are they helpful ?

Anonymous said...

I also love it when you're young, and people act as if you have to vote for the Democrat. Like as if voting for a particular party or person makes you betray some innate part of yourself. HOGWASH.

I'm in quite a predicament this election, though. By their system, there is no candidate for me being a young Christian with lady parts - that's like three different candidates. Perhaps I should vote for all three so I don't feel like I'm betraying some part of myself. Because there's no possible way I could decide for myself ;)

That's the long way of saying I agree. Sorry. It hit a nerve.

Jeff Watkins said...

No need for apologies. I don't like anyone telling me what to do, especially when it comes to voting.

Anonymous said...

I definitely do not know who I'm voting for this year. Not yet, anyway. I do know that I DO NOT want Hillary in there - especially if it's true that she wants to make a universal health care plan MANDATORY. No thank you! The government's got it's grubby "little" hands in enough stuff as it is...no need to let it's hands go there, too...

Then again, whoever gets the Presidency, it will be because the Lord allowed it...

Sarah said...

I am gathering a small band of followers to go to the polls and write in Ross Perot in November. It seems like the real solution this time around. Join us if you will...Perot in '08!

Jeff Watkins said...

Michelle, you are correct.

Sarah, is Ross Perot even alive?