Monday, February 26, 2007

How Many Times Have I Quoted That Song?

"Monday Monday" is the one I'm referring to.

It seems as if all the writing I can muster up for this site are for posts on Mondays. I don't know why this keeps occurring, but I'd like to get to the bottom of it. At this moment, I'm avoiding Greek homework. It's not that I hate it or anything; on the contrary, I do enjoy it. But there are those moments where I wish I would have never signed up for the class, especially since it's an elective. That should actually give me a little more freedom to fail the class with grace, or to pass with a very low D. Oh well.


This past weekend my school hosted the annual Evangelical Philosophical Society which coincided with our own annual event, the Greer-Heard Point-Counterpoint Forum. This year, the topic of discussion was the future of Atheism. Two reknown scholars, Alister McGrath (Oxford University) and Daniel Dennett (Tufts University) debated the topic with brilliance and wit.

My brain was fried after the five lectures I attended and the debate. I learned a lot of new words. One was 'conciliatory.'

Some books I heard about that I want now:

Peter Lipton - Inference To The Best Explanation

Sir Peter Medawar - Limits of Science

Denis Noble - The Music of Life: Biology beyond the Genome

Something that stuck out to me was this: Alister McGrath made a good point when he said that, "Atheism and Theism are both faiths; neither can prove their case with total certainty." I do enjoy talking about faith and disbelief. I myself was unbeliever at one point. Although my story isnt' as compelling as McGrath or C.S. Lewis, it's my story none the less.

Okay, that's enough. I need to do my homework now.

Semen est verbum Dei. Sator autem Christus.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i'm sure those debates were full of a lot of info! my brain would be fried, too!

too bad i have no clue what that last quote is...i mean, i might could guess sort of...but, umm...nah.

i almost always quote, "manic monday" on mondays.

hope you're well, jeff!