Thursday, September 28, 2006

I Hate Overnight Activism

I understand that people find new causes to defend and support all the time, but I'm getting tired of hearing people refer to themselves as activists. I admire those who defend the needs of the voiceless and helpless because I am a very selfish person who only concerns himself with my own needs mostly. And I realize that a single event can change the way you live, and reshape your outlook on life. A good example of this is the lady who started Mothers Against Drunk Drivers (MADD). Her child was killed by a drunk driver, and because she was so distraught, she wanted to prevent others from having to deal with that kind of hell, so she started the organization. That activism is good. Calling yourself an activist just to be nominal is lame and the worst kind of fraud. Stand up for something because people need help, not because it will make you more appealing to the opposite sex or those you have conversations with. Activism is a lifetime role, not an overnight trend.

2 comments:

AF said...

Well said.

Wendy said...

It seems like this happens a lot with people who are college-age. They just need a cause, so that their lives feel worth-while.