Wednesday, June 18, 2003

My Favorite Arminian

Sometime back, I was reading online that June is the month that John Wesley was born. Now, for the life of me, I cannot remember what day that is. So, just because he and I share the same birth month, I thought it would be nice to learn a little bit about my favorite anti-Calvinite and one of the founders of the Methodist church. Apparently, Christian History Magazine agrees:

1738 John Wesley visits Herrnhut

1739 Whitefield begins preaching outdoors, makes first trip to America

1740 Methodists break with Moravians in London, begin meeting at the Foundery

1741 Calvinist/Arminian debate between Whitefield and John Wesley; Thomas Maxfield, a layman, begins preaching without permission

1743 John Wesley issues An Earnest Appeal to Men of Reason and Religion, an apologetic for Methodism

1744 First Methodist annual conference


While I cannot stand Christianity Today (the publisher), I love Christian History Magazine. I think it is relevant and helpful to know the history of the church fathers. And, most importantly, it is vital to remember what they taught—the hope through salvation that Jesus Christ brought. No matter what branch of theology Whitefield and Wesley subscribed to, they presented the gospel to anyone who would listen, much like we ought to be doing everyday of our lives. We can learn a lot about the future, by just looking at the past.

With Love From Apartment # 8

No comments: