Monday, August 28, 2006

One Year = One Lifetime

A lot can happen in a year. Just ask me. But if you would like to know more, ask someone else. Many more have suffered beyond what I have ever experienced. I am lucky. I wrote a lot about being lucky last year. One year ago today [link], I wrote with almost a humorous spirit. For the next month, there was no laughter coming from me. Why do we look back and smile, even when the memories are bad? This is not the case for me. I don't think a day has gone by in the past 365 days where I haven't thought about that whore Katrina and what she took from me. I'm glad God's in control because I would lose my mind if He wasn't. I still hurt and cry, and I didn't lose one thing. Think about those who lost some, or all. I am only concerned because I was affected and effected (one of the only times I can be both I suppose). Instances like hurricanes teach me to hurt and mourn with others; to get beyond my feeble attempts at being self-centered. This is it. I don't know what this next year holds for me. But I sure hope is resembles very little of last year.

2 comments:

AF said...

For the last few days I've been trying to think what to comment on this post, here goes..

That was truly beautiful.

Anonymous said...

my first response to this was a self-centered "yeah, i have gone through a lot in the past year too... blah blah blah..."

but then i slapped myself and decided to make it about you. since this is YOUR blog.

YOU are amazing. As a person and a writer.

YOU are terribly missed in Brevard County, FL. Specifically in Merritt Island, if that counts for anything.

YOU are a better person and friend than I have ever deserved to be associated with. But I thank you for the friendship you give to me anyway.

Thank you, Jeff. Hope this semester goes very well for you in NoLA.

*hug*