Monday, August 21, 2006

New Orleans, LA 70126

Well, I am back in NOLA, again a full time student at the New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary. I have been in town for one week. Right now, I'm sitting at a table in the Hardin Student Center, near the Cafe. The muffled sounds of laughter and conversation are only mildly overshadowed by the stressed-filled sighs that are echoing in my mind. It's surreal. Here I am. In the place I was only one year ago (possibly in the same chair). But again, here I am, in a much different place and with a much different attitude than just twelve months prior. It feels different now. Everyday life--for me and the city--is not the same as it was one year ago. I'm getting by, making due, living well, etc. I realize that the only person who can make things different this time around is me. I have a second chance to accomplish my tasks, get closer to God, grow friendships into lifelong relationships and help people cope with their devastated lives. Or, I could just as easily repeat what I've already done. The choice of what to do is an easy one to make. The action I choose to take is the much more difficult decision As silly as sounds, we can learn a lot from an accused child molester:

"That's why I want you to know I'm starting with the man in the mirror. I'm asking him to change his ways. And no message could have been any clearer. If you wanna make the world a better place take a look at yourself and then make a change" ("Man In The Mirror" by Michael Jackson).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow. never have those lyrics been more powerful to me.

i miss you. sorry i did not get to see you one last time before you left. i knew i couldn't and felt too guilty in advance to even call. i'm sorry.

hope this year is a good one...

*hugs*

Sarah said...

NoLa + Jeff = Good Combination