Friday, April 18, 2008

Sad

Yesterday, only a couple blocks from where I was volunteering at the Carver Baptist Center Uptown in the Garden District, Guy McEwan was shot and killed around 5:00 PM. The newly-turned twenty-year-old was a victim of a senseless shooting. Supposedly, the shooting is linked to his participation and cooperation in testifying in another murder trial earlier in the week. While I'd only met Guy once or twice, it saddens me to know that this reality exists where I live. While I'm conscious of the issues on a daily basis, I can sometimes easily ignore it because I'm not affected. Well, I am now. Please, pray for families involved, and the 12th ward community. Someone mentioned to me that Guy was worried about this earlier in the week. When I was 20, I worried about not pissing my Dad off, or getting caught drinking. Seriously, how do you not worry about getting shot? What is that?

WWL has the whole story here

2 comments:

Chase said...

man, sorry.

it's one thing to be close to death and despair, it's quite another to be near such dispicable acts of violence against another person. murder is to destroy the image of God. murder is to kill God.

one of the greatest/oddest oxymoron's is that of "senseless violence". i've written this song, "i'm looking for some sensible violence."

hope you feel better somehow.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry, Jeff. I know it's hard. I will be praying for everyone involved, and for you during this time...

love you.